Friday 18 January 2013

Verse # 30 Lovers Gift - Tagore


The below is from Verse 30, Lovers gift by Tagore. It seems Tagore wrote this when he was bereaving the death of his beloved...

         Translation by Tagore

                            "'  The spring of flowers breakout like the passionate pain of unspkoen love. With their breath comes the memory of my old day songs. My heart , of a sudden , has put on green leaves of desire .My love came not but her touch is in my limbs , and her voice comes across the fragrant fields . Her gaze is in the sad depth of the sky , but where are her eyes ? Her kisses flit in the air , but where are her lips ?  ""


          Now GR's translation of the above


                                   My songs old and sweet
                                   That into her ears once I did tweet
                                    At such a time of the year
                                    When faded away traces of winter
                                    And descended on earth the Eden - a bit
                                    It was spring , the lover's delight.

                                    The voice of Nature  loud and clear
                                    I love to hear
                                    As the spring is here , in all its splendor
                                    The songs of birds fill the air
                                    The sun slips through the mist
                                    To seek and be in her midst.

                                     To kiss and sweeten her feet
                                      Fragrant flowers breakout
                                      Kindle they in my heart a pain
                                      The words of love not spoken
                                      Though it was my heart's desire
                                       Where now burns a fire.

                                      Grass and leaves , green and fresh
                                      In my heart , thoughts of days old spring afresh
                                      From across the fragrant fields
                                      Floats unto me her voice in floods
                                      Her touch on my limbs still warm
                                      Though to me ' ll she never come.

                                       The infinite sky sad and sullen
                                       In its depth her gaze seen
                                       But where hath gone her sparkling eyes?
                                       In the air flit her kisses
                                       But where hath gone her cherry lips ? ""

9 comments:

KParthasarathi said...

GR's verse is more than a translation;it is a stand alone and very nice.

strange.friendships said...

You are right Partha. He writes so beautifully... I have requested him to do the complete translation in his words..

R. Ramesh said...

partha is right..

strange.friendships said...

Thank you Ramesh. Your words will really be an inspiration to him.

Arti Honrao said...

Well! What I wanted to say has already been said. :)

GBU
Arti

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Simply beautiful and heartwarming, many thanks for sharing.

sm said...

beautiful poem

R. Ramesh said...

Hi:)

strange.friendships said...

Thank you to all my friends who commented on GR's verse. I am having a hectic time at office so finding it difficult to visit often. Please do forgive my absence...